Friday, October 9, 2015

Next part of my spinning experience

Well the next part of my spinning experience isn't what I was hoping for :-/
I wound up the yarn from the spindle onto a plastic lid. I made it wet it and let it dry. Then I found out that for plying you have to do it directly from the spindle.
Ok I have now a 1 ply Icelandic wool. 
The yarn feels soft before spinning and while spinning. Only after moisten it feels a little coarse .... 


I've read about a nøstepinne on which you can wind the yarn into a nice ball..
Because I don't have a nøstepinne I searched for something similar what I have.


This should work. 



Next problem was that I didn't have something like a yarn swift and the yarn came of the plastic lid and everything tied together.  After minutes.... almost hours I decided to break the yarn so I have at least a small ball..


and the other part? That went into the garbage.


Spinning is learning.

Lucy

7 comments:

Unknown said...

After I finish a bobbin full of single ply, I use my Lazy Kate to ply it onto my spinning wheel, and then I move it from there onto a niddy noddy and tie the ends and tie it in various places around the hank, and then I give it a bath. If I'm using a spindle, you can wind the yarn off onto a toilet paper cardboard roll and then ply from those. You can make a nifty holder for your spindles from a shoebox. I learned all this from just googling and watching youtube videos. I'm self taught and still learning.

Lucy said...

Thank you so much for your information Beth. It helps me a lot. Especially the shoebox thing :-)

quilting Jeannet said...

Ook een klein bolletje is mooi Lucy, en wat je zegt, ook spinnen kost tijd en lering maar dat gaat jou zeker lukken/ Tijd voor een wieltje?;)

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Colors and texture look yummy--so far out of my skill and comfort level

Phyllis said...

Wat een proces, dat is iets heel anders als een bolletje kopen in de winkel!

Crafts 'n' Skills said...

Oh nee! Niet in de garbage! Dat gaat bij ons in de 'draadjesdoos'! Is een perfecte vulling voor knuffeltjes, kussentjes, als samenbindertje voor een paar doekjes als cadeau, om een glas gewikkeld voor fraaie kerstkandelaar.. Maar ik begrijp je wel! Spinnen is een hele kunst!

Evelyne said...

Ik vind dit wel al een knap bolletje lucy!
Mooi zo'n naturel bolletje!

groetjes,
Evelyne